Wednesday, March 5, 2008
Vacation Work
It's been so long since I have posted something! So here is a slideshow from my vacation work at the mines. I was lucky to be able to work at the sand mines at Stradbroke Island which are a lot different from other mines! From the Straddie mines you can see the ocean! So it is very much a lifestyle choice working there.
The company I worked for was Consolidated Rutile Limited (or CRL). CRL owns two mines on the island; one called Enterprise and one called Yarraman. I worked at Enterprise which was a mere 15 minute drive from the house I was staying at on the island.
CRL uses the wet method of sand mining which consists of a dredge pond in which a concentrator, thickener and dredge float on. The sand is sluiced off the face into the dredge pond and is picked up off the dredge pond floor by the dredge head. The sand is then pumped into the concentrator where it goes through the seperation process using seperation spirals.
My time at Straddie was great fun and because I started work early and only did 8 hour shifts there was plenty of time for the beach after work! Everyone was really friendly, and I feel that CRL is a fantastic company to work for! Any students interested should definitely consider CRL for vacation work.
:-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
...and you can apply for vac work at CRL here: http://www.consrutile.com.au/home/inner.asp?main=4&sub=69&page=69 or join the 'Vac Work with Mining and Energy Companies' FB group at http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9793520199
Post a Comment